Activities related to grains and health
Here you find documents of HEALTHGRAIN Forum activities and overviews related to grains and health.
HEALTHGRAIN Forum leaflets and presentations
HEALTHGRAIN Forum leaflet "Health-protective mechanisms of whole grain cereals - new hypotheses" (Oct. 2011). A summary of:
Anthony Fardet in Nutrition Research Reviews (2010): New hypotheses for the health-protective mechanisms of whole-grain cereals: what is beyond fibre?
Presentations from the HEALTHGRAIN Forum Symposium at the 11th European Nutrition Conference (FENS), 26-29 October 2011:
- van der Kamp: Whole grain, definition and recommendations for consumption
- McKeown: Weighing in on Whole Grains - A review of Evidence Linking Whole Grains to Body Weight
- Seal: Whole grains, inflammatory response and metabolic syndrome
- Björck: Effects of whole grain on metabolic risk factors
EFSA Scientific opinions
Positive EFSA Scientific opinions:
- Wheat bran - increase in faecal bulk and reduction in intestinal transit time
- Oat beta glucan - lowering blood cholesterol and reduced risk of (coronary) heart disease
- Beta glucans - maintenance of normal blood cholesterol concentrations
Note: the proposed health claims relating wheat bran and (oat) beta glucans to maintenance or achievement of normal body weight were rejected by EFSA.
Negative EFSA Scientific opinions:
- Whole Grain - all health claims rejected: whole grain is insufficiently characterised
- Wheat dextrin - all health claims rejected: cause and effect relationship have not been established